Big G Express Acquires RTR Transportation Services
Employee-owned Big G Express has acquired Nashville-based RTR Transportation Services, according to a February announcement. This strategic move expands the carrier’s service routes, adding approximately 100 drivers, and allows the Shelbyville, Tennessee-based company to gain market share with blue-chip customers in the automotive industry.
RTR’s Commitment to Employee Protection
RTR’s decision to sell was rooted in its comfort level with Big G’s executive leadership, as the company wanted to protect its workers. Jackson Norman, RTR’s president, emphasized the importance of employee protection in the acquisition deal.
Expansion into New Markets and Revenue Growth
With facilities across 11 states, more than 550 tractors, and 1,800-plus trailers, Big G Express can reach new markets with the acquisition of nationwide TL carrier RTR. According to RTR, its footprint includes not only 48 states but also Canada, leading to a significant increase in the company’s reach.
The deal is expected to result in revenue growth for both companies, as mentioned in a LinkedIn post by RTR. The post stated, “This decision was made with our employee owners in mind.”
Enjoying our insights?
Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up with the latest industry trends and developments.Stay Informed
Leadership Retention in M&A Deals
Like other merger and acquisition deals, RTR’s president, Jackson Norman, will remain with the newly acquired company, the announcement said. Similarly, TFI International retained Steve Ramescu this year after purchasing intermodal and freight brokerage provider Axsun Group, and Werner Enterprises did so with Cari Baylor in its acquisition last year of Baylor Trucking.
Some deals, however, allow company owners and founders to exit the business. For example, employee-owned reefer carrier R.E. Garrison announced in January that Michael Boatwright would retire with the sale of assets of Boaty’s Transport.
The Impact on the Trucking Industry
The acquisition of RTR Transportation Services by Big G Express signifies a growing trend in the trucking industry, where companies are expanding their reach and market share through strategic mergers and acquisitions. This expansion enables them to better serve their customers and protect the interests of their employees.
In conclusion, the acquisition of RTR Transportation Services by Big G Express is a significant milestone for both companies. It will not only expand their service routes and market reach but also help them gain market share with blue-chip customers in the automotive industry. Furthermore, this deal highlights the importance of employee protection and the retention of executive leadership in merger and acquisition deals within the trucking industry.
5 Key Benefits of Big G Express Acquiring RTR
- Expanded Service Routes: With the addition of RTR Transportation Services, Big G Express can now offer its customers an expanded range of service routes, covering not only the 48 continental United States but also Canada. This increased reach allows the company to serve a broader range of customers and industries, including the growing automotive sector.
- Increased Driver Pool: The acquisition adds approximately 100 drivers to the Big G Express team, increasing the company’s capacity to meet customer demand and ensuring timely, efficient delivery of goods across North America.
- Enhanced Market Share with Blue-Chip Customers: By acquiring RTR, Big G Express gains access to valuable blue-chip customers in the automotive industry, one of the most prominent and lucrative sectors in the global economy. This enhanced market share allows Big G Express to strengthen its position in the industry and diversify its customer base.
- Commitment to Employee Protection: A crucial aspect of the acquisition deal was RTR’s desire to ensure the protection of its employees. By joining forces with Big G Express, an employee-owned carrier, RTR’s workers can feel secure in their positions and benefit from the company’s commitment to employee well-being.
- Retention of Executive Leadership: The acquisition of RTR Transportation Services by Big G Express demonstrates the importance of retaining experienced executive leadership in the trucking industry. By keeping RTR’s president, Jackson Norman, on board, Big G Express can ensure a smooth transition and leverage his industry knowledge to navigate future challenges and opportunities.
Future Prospects for the Trucking Industry
As the acquisition of RTR Transportation Services by Big G Express shows, mergers and acquisitions play a vital role in the trucking industry’s growth and expansion. By joining forces, companies can pool their resources, expertise, and customer bases to become more competitive in the global market.
Moreover, the trucking industry’s future is likely to be shaped by new technologies, such as autonomous vehicles, electric trucks, and advanced logistics systems. Companies that can adapt to these innovations and incorporate them into their operations will be well-positioned to thrive in the coming years.
For instance, Big G Express and RTR Transportation Services could explore investments in electric vehicles to reduce their carbon footprint and lower operating costs. Similarly, the companies could collaborate on implementing advanced logistics and tracking systems to optimize their supply chain operations and further enhance customer satisfaction.
The acquisition of RTR Transportation Services by Big G Express represents a significant milestone for both companies and the trucking industry as a whole. The deal not only expands the reach and market share of Big G Express but also reinforces the importance of employee protection and executive leadership retention in successful mergers and acquisitions.
As the trucking industry continues to evolve and adapt to new challenges and opportunities, companies like Big G Express and RTR Transportation Services must remain agile and innovative to stay ahead of the competition. Through strategic partnerships and investments in cutting-edge technologies, these companies can ensure their long-term success and contribute to a more efficient, sustainable, and customer-focused transportation sector.
For more news and updates on the trucking industry (click here) or Acquisitions (click here), plus check out other articles on tanktransport.com.
For more information on Big G Express and their services, visit their website at https://www.biggexpress.com/.